“Brewing is a messy, chaotic, wet, stimulating and strenuous activity that promotes euphoria and health - sort of like sex.” -Stephen Buhner, author of Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation
About the Workshop:
Join Tara Welty, herbal beer maven, for an immersive exploration of herbal brewing, including hands-on experience of the entire beer-making process. Topics covered include history and lore of herbal brewing, brewing and bottling techniques, sourcing herbs both wild and commercial as well as storing, aging and safety. During the class, we will make and bottle herbal ale as well as partake in extensive herbal beer tasting and sampling!
This workshop also includes a tour of Companion Plants gardens and greenhouse where Erika Galentin and Tara Welty will discuss different medicinal and culinary herbs that can be incorporated into herbal beers. Participants receive discount vouchers for Companion Plants retail greenhouse and Sovereignty Herbs goods and services. Participants even get to take a souvenir bottle of herbal beer home!
Participants must be 21 + in order to participate. As we will be consuming alcohol, we ask that participants please drink responsibly. VERY LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE (so don't delay)!
- Herbal beer brewing from start to finish covering topics including supplies, equipment, ingredients, bottling, storage, and aging.
- Extensive herbal beer tasting and sampling intertwined with herbal lore, storytelling, and plant spirit envoking.
- Herb walk and guided tour of Companion Plants gardens and greenhouse with discussions on plants and herbs that can be incorprated into herbal beers and their medicinal qualities.
- Instructional handouts so you can start brewing at home right away!
- A bottle of herbal beer to age and enjoy at home!
- 10% off live plants and seeds from Companion Plants Greenhouse!
- 10% off Sovereignty Herbs herbal consultations and herbal blends!
What to Bring With You:
- A notebook and something to write with.
- Snacks / food! We will be having short breaks throughout the workshop, but will not be stopping for lunch. Please bring food, snacks with you to munch on during the workshop.
- Water will be provided, but it is highly recommended you bring water with you as well.
- Chairs are provided, but you may want to bring extra cushions and/or comfort pillows with you.
- An inquisitive and open mind! This is NOT a standard beer brewing class!
Cost: $80.00 per person
To Register by Snail Mail:
To avoid Eventbrite fees, you can also register by mail by sending a check along with your name, email address, and memo stating 'Herbal Beers' to:
Sovereignty Herbs, 7247 N. Coolville Ridge Rd., Athens, OH, 45701
Please feel free to email or call us with any questions:
- Phone: 740-229-9952
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org